[TowerTalk] full body harness ---> full body massage needed!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] full body harness ---> full body massage needed!
From: n4kw@citrus.infi.net (Pete Raymond)
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 09:29:14 -0700
Jim White, K4OJ wrote:

> Yesterday I wore a new full body/fall arrest/harness for the first time.
>
> I could NOT get comfortable in it, at all!
>
> I suspect there is something I am missing in the adjustment of its
> operation.
>
> I cannot get the seat to land in the right spot on my butt to make me feel
> like it is supporting me when I am belted in.  There is too much weight
> being transmitted to the belt which is landing high on my body.
>
> I came down the tower with sore kidneys, this has gotta be wrong.
>
> I am used to about thirty years worth of having something tightly wrapped
> around my waist - at my "belt height"...where there a large mass of
> bones.....this however seems to be asking that it cinch down above my waist
> and below my rib cage....if the unthinkable were to happen I may not
> fall....but I sure as heck would have my innards squeezed!
>
> It is a Kelin full body fall arrest harness.....it has shoulder straps with
> a fall arrest ring in the middle of my shoulder blades...there is the
> "belt" which seems to land in the wrong spot.....there are four d-rings,
> two attach to the "seat" (which does not land in the right spot on my
> butt)..and the other two are on the belt.....and there are two leg straps
> which at times ride a little too far North for my liking (as in voice
> changing pitch!).
>
> If you wear one of these and have tips on its adjustment I would appreciate
> your thoughts......the owners manual that came with the belt, while thick,
> not only does not picture the one belt in the box, but does not address the
> methodology of adjusting one of these suckers to fit a 6'3" fat old man -
> halp, I got a lot of antenna work to get done quickly, see below!
>
> 73,
>
> Jim, K4OJ
> k4oj@ij
>
> One  month until Sweepstakes CW, make sure you work me so you will not miss
> the elusive South Floirda multiplier!
>
> Proud member of the Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:
> http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm
>
> The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
> website@:
> http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm
>
> --
Jim, I would double check the class of body harness you have.  I believe
most manufactures have four classes of harnesses; Fall Arrest System,
Work Positioning System, Suspension System, and Retrieval System.
I have a Buckingham full body harness and ordered it with both the
fall arrest and work positiong system.  It sounds like yours has the
same
but you stated you had a fall arrest body harness, so I would check with
the mfr etc.  I adjust mine with the sholder and leg adjustments.
Did you get the proper size?  73 & GL Pete N4KW