[TowerTalk] Change in plans. More questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Change in plans. More questions
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:33:34 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-04 00:32:14 EDT, kc5ajx@hotmail.com writes:

>  I noticed something strange while studying the Rohn book the other
>  night. I was looking at the difference between Rohn 25 @ 70ft and 100
>  ft, I mistakenly open to the Rohn 45 section instead of the Rohn 25
>  section I noted the the allowable area for round and flat member is
>  higher for Rohn 25 than for Rohn 45 at the same height is this a
>  misprint? My book is dated Dec 1997

     Read "General Note #4" for the 45G. You'll see that they have taken 8
sq.ft. away from the tower loading spec to allow for a commercial symmetrical
antenna mount. Add the 8 sq.ft. back into the figure in the drawing and
that'll make it apples-to- apples. The 25G does not have this 'net/gross'
situation.

>   Another thing with the current thread on rebar cages I noticed that the
>  Rohn book doesn't call for one. I can only assume that the rebar cages
>  are for crankups or another brand of tower or is this another issue I
>  have to consider? I wasn't planning to use one in my plans.

      Rohn calls for rebar of a certain size in a specific configuration. The
Rohn base and anchors are MUCH smaller than a self-supporting tower base and
do not need as much reinforcing.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC