[TowerTalk] quad vs. yagi @ low height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] quad vs. yagi @ low height
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:03:39 -0700
Esteemed Reflectees,

(I know this is not topband specific topic but I know it's readers are well
versed in antenna theory hence the addition of them to this email)

I am going to put a fixed wire "beam" so I can have a more regualr schedule
with my father, KA3IFO in Erie, PA, on 17 meter phone. My question is what
do you all think will work better:

1. A fixed wire yagi around 10-15 feet above the roof (actually an inverted
vee yagi).

2. A fixed wire quad at around the same height (actually a delta loop
array).

I have plenty of room length wise to add up to say 7, 8 or 9 elements on a
long boom (rope boom).

I do not want to make it so sharp that I can't get into the southern states
or some parts of Canada. I will be firing the beam from San Diego.

Maybe make it bi-directional with a common reflector? Switch in different
driven elements and sets of reflectors??

Comments and opinions most welcome. I prefer to stay away from a phased
array at this time.

Topbanders thank you for the read.

Lane
KM3G