[TowerTalk] Folded Monopole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Folded Monopole
From: babblarr@cwis.isu.edu (Larry Babb)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 23:01:02 -0600
I would like to ask the opinion of what is described in the antenna compendiums
as a "Folded Monopole" that
could be used on 160 meters.
It appears to be an antenna that easier for me to experiement with than others,
and consists of (3) wires
mounted something in excess of 30 inches from the tower, at 120 degrees around
the tower, and connected at the
bottom for the feed/matching network.  Another shorting type wire is
incorporated about 2/3 's of the way up
the tower that is used for conjugate matching.  In my case, these vertical
elements would be about 45 feet
each.
        This antenna is being considered in preference to the inverted "L"
because it is much simplier for me
to be able to hang all the antenna wire on my tower, than find another support
on my city lot to hold up the
end of the inverted "L" type antenna.
        Any comments from anyone who has experimented with this type of
antenna?  Thanks

    Larry K7NHA