[TowerTalk] EF140s element tuning on F12 C4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EF140s element tuning on F12 C4
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:48:30 -0400
I had a C-4 up for two years with no noalox, no nothin, and never had any
change in VSWR or performance of the 40-meter element.  However, when I put
up my EF-240S I put noalox on the joints betwween the loading wire and the
shorting bars, which looked to me like the most likely place to have
trouble.  Our environment, like Mike's, is pretty non-corrosive, so we'll
see.  I sure hope they don't need work, because with both elements 9 feet
each from the feedpoint this could be a fairly miserable chore.

Bob, as for your basic question -- You need to be at least 25 feet in the
air to get a representative SWR curve, and even then it may be a little
low, overall.  Your results seem about right.

Mike, by the way, your Netscape e-mailer is putting the quoted material in
small formatted type, which confounds my Eudora.  Basically, it prevents my
quoting from your incoming message, when it contains such a quote.  Given
how ubiquitous Eudora is, you may want to see if you can turn that off
(somewhere in Preferences).

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia