[TowerTalk] A Question of GAIN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Question of GAIN
From: Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:15:58 -0400
When stacks are modeled, you can see changes in element currents of the
adjacent yagis, they are not independent of one another. These changes
reduce the 3db intuitive figure to something over 2db, depending on the kind
of antenna.

If you look at the pattern of a single yagi in free space, there is a fair
amount of radiation straight up and straight down. When the antennas are
directly above  one another, this vertical radiation "interferes" somewhat
with the antenna above or below, resulting in the 2.x dB figure for stacking
gain.

If the yagi used as array elements is 4.6 dB gain, then 10 dB is really very
good. Most likely 9.x, given harnesses, etc.

73, Guy