[TowerTalk] A Question of GAIN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Question of GAIN
From: n7ml@imt.net (Mike Lamb)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:52:26 -0600
Denny,  I must disagree with you based strictly on experience.  Others, please
forgive me repeating myself from an earlier message.  I have six stacked triband
yagis on a 190 ft. rotating tower.  It works well enough that I can often get a
major European pile-up going anytime there is propagation.  Over the years I
have
made a habit of asking stations that I hear in the pileup who are 10 or 20 dB
above the crowd what antenna they are using.  Invariably, the the response is
either a stack or a quad!!!!  Also, I have a stack switch that allows me to
check
signal strengths of any combination of pairs of antennas.  After playing around
with the switch for the first six months or so, now I just leave all antennas
switched in at all times.  The whole stack is almost always (at least 85% of the
time) better than any other lesser combination.  I am enough of a believer in
stacks that I use them for the tribands, 40 and six meters and none are a
disappointment considering the added expense and effort.

73/Mike, N7ML