[TowerTalk] re: rhombics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: rhombics
From: wf3h@enter.net (bob puharic)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:33:16 +0000

rick@area.com wrote:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> > Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:24:38 -0600
> > From: "Josh Logan" <jlogan@bewellnet.com>
> > Subject: [TowerTalk] N6AW on  30m  BIG GUN SIGNAL
> >
> > The other night I heard Jan N6AW working
> > Europeans and Russians on 30m
> > Most of the DX I could barely hear !!
> > He said that he was using a Rhombic  350 meters
> > in over- all length  aiming Europe.
> > HE was putting out an absolutely awesome signal !! with 200 watts!
> > getting 599   from ZS6QU   off the side.
> >
> > Can  Rhombics be effective with Metal supports?
> > I always here about the tall telephone poles supporting Rhombics?
> >
> > Josh  N7XM    in Colorado
>
> I was just doing some rhombic modeling yesterday.  I'm not
> sure what "350m in overall length" means, whether tip to tip
> or length of wire.  If tip to tip, you are looking at a leg
> length of 200m or so, depending on angle.  This is over 6 wavelengths.
> When you get to this size, you have a 3 db beamwidth of less than 10
> degrees in both azimuth and elevation.  The gain, if the station you

A few years ago, a number of hams from the Frankford Radio Club and I
visited the AT&T receiving station of WOO in Manahawkin, NJ. They have quite
a number of rhombics there, pointed about 3 degrees apart. When a ship calls
in, he gives his QTH, and the best rhombic is switched into the circuit.
Quite amazing what you can hear with that type of antenna!