[TowerTalk] Create Rotor - Mast Slip

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Create Rotor - Mast Slip
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:21:53 -0400
At 06:53 PM 10/21/98 -0500, you wrote:

>For those that have Create rotors, I need some advice.
>
>In fear of breaking my mast clamps, I'm hesitant on really torquing the
>bolts on the clamp.  The result is that the mast is continually
>slipping.
================================
I have 4 currently in service. Over the years, with large 40M and tri-band
long boom quads, the only ones that don't slip are on 2"x.25"x24' 6061-T6
aluminum masts. Yea, folks will say use steel. I never could get a steel
mast to grip for long. Some swear to the steel masts exclusively. Maybe
they are right. The long aluminum masts I use act as torsion bars and seem
to help reduce the shock to the rotors and they don't slip. The rotors grip
the aluminum really well. Long masts also mean extra thrust bearings and
the top ones should tilt as well as turn. End result is long service life
from masts and rotors....here. Your mileage may vary.

73,
Bruce