[TowerTalk] A.B. Chance anchor question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A.B. Chance anchor question
From: n6cr@ix.netcom.com (Dr. Richard W. Musicer)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:03:09 -0600 (CST)
"Tim Totten, N4GN" <n4gn@iglou.com> wrote:

>What would really be ideal--I think--is a 5/8" shackle-like piece of
>hardware that has a much bigger than normal open end (more U-shaped
>than omega-shaped).  Does such exist?

Yes...it is called a 'saddle bolt'...I have several of these that I am
using with these anchors.  Not so easy to find.  But, read on......

>1.0) Forget the eq plate and attach the guys directly to the anchor
>head (short lead of 1/4" EHS to turnbuckle to more EHS to Philystran).

>The head does have three thimble-like grooves apparently made for
>utility pole guys.

This is the correct solution.  The head is made for this.  Read your AB
Chance 'Encyclopedia of Anchoring' book.  You did get one of these,
didn't you?

>What do I lose by skipping the eq plate, assuming I regularly
>check/adjust the guy tension on all three guys?

Absolutely nothing.

>1.1) Same as 1.0, but using oversized thimbles at the guy/anchor
>attachment.

Getting colder again....

>2.0) Use a 7/8" shackle, but grind the round end down to roughly 5/8"
so it fits the eq plate.

Ice cold now....

>3.0) Pay someone to do some cutting and welding to attach the eq
plates to the anchor head.

C'mon.....

>3.1) Pay someone to modify the anchor head to a 5/8" eye.

Now you're talk'n...throw the money my way..I'll give you a bid you'll
never forget!

GL/73,
Rick, N6CR in Atlanta