[TowerTalk] Switching Beverages

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Switching Beverages
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:07:26 -0500
Hi Barry,

> I'm thinking about putting up a second Beverage this season, and
> wonder what everyone does to switch them. I'm thinking about using
> an Ameritron RCS-4 to switch on the high impedance side of the 9:1
> xfmr (that way I only need one xfmr). Any reason not to do this? '

Yes, there is a reason. The RCS-4 depends on the line impedance being low
to insure isolation from port to port. Isolation from port would be poor
when switching 600 ohms or so.

I have problems with dip relays in shielded partitions, so I switch the low
Z lines.

> Also, would it be better to ground  the non-selected Beverage?

Depends. If the coupling is magnetic grounding would make the problem
worse, if the coupling is capacitive (electric field) grounding would
reduce coupling.

73 Tom