[TowerTalk] Power x RG58

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Power x RG58
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:38:51 -0500
> Transmit loss concerns yes, receive loss concerns, no problem on HF.
> As long as you can hear atmospheric noise in the receiver, gain loss
> ahead of the receiver is NOT a problem.
>
> My Beverages are 10 dB below my transmit antennas.  If the following
> argument were true, I should take them down because of the receive loss.
>
> Not anytime soon!
>
> de  Tom  N4KG  (Receiver design engineer in my other life)

Tom:

   I would sure love to understand this concept better, as I am sure many
others here would.

   Both on TX and RX we are dealing with electrical energy which may be
sustained or reduced as it travels from its source (the TX power output
stage, or on RX the connection at the antenna).  Is transmission line loss
between the antenna and the receiver literally not important or relatively
unimportant when compared to VHF and UHF?

   Is ambient noise added to the receive signal (the quantity depending on
the quality of the cable and the installation) thus making the maintenance
of the level of the original antenna feed point signal valuable?  (Is this
not why we often amplify the RX signal right at the antenna at UHF and
microwave frequencies?)  Also, how do we discern between atmospheric noise
and the ambient noise that may leak into the system though poor quality
cable and/or poor installation techniques?

   Would you suggest that for small signal work we should pay more
attention to line loss and resistance to ambient noise, while for general
use most of us will never really notice the loss and additional noise in
the HF range?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!  It is always exciting to learn
here!
73, DavidC  AA1FA