[TowerTalk] aiming a rotor: true vs. magnetic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aiming a rotor: true vs. magnetic
From: danq@quigleys.com (Dan Quigley)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:48:54 -0800
That depends on the declination for your area. The zero degree line of
declinaction
extends (rougly) from the Western tip of the Florida panhandle to the
Eastern-most
border of Minnesota. Any site East of that line will have a W
declination (subtract from
a compass bearing).  Sites West of the line have E declination (add too
compass bearing).

Altitude also has an effect but is far less of a factor than geograpic
position.

I recommend two methods for accurately determining declination (or true
north) at your
location.

1) Use a friends GPS receiver/indicator.
2) Buy (or look at) a USGS topographical map for your site.  There is
always a "center of map" declination indicated in the map legend.

Dan N7HQ