[TowerTalk] aiming a rotor: true vs. magnetic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aiming a rotor: true vs. magnetic
From: wf3h@hotmail.com (Bob Puharic)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:27:10 PST

>I can manually point the beam. I visually line up the boom with the
compass.
>Okay so far. In order to aim the beam at "true" north I would actually
want
>it pointing at 012 degrees if I have a magnetic correction of 12
degrees,
>right? of course the rotor also needs to be sitting at 12.
>
>Help!!

This is the method I used which eliminated the need for USGS maps,
compasses, splitting east/west time differences etc

1. On a clear night prior to aiming the beam take a tall rod into your
back yard.

2. stand as far from your tower as you can. stand the rod on its end in
front of you and sight over the top of the rod to make a line between
the rod, the tower top, and the north star. Hammer the rod into the
ground at this point

3. When you're ready to aim the beam, drop a line from the mast to the
ground. Attach the ground end to the rod you set up the other  night.

4. have someone lay on the ground, and look up the tower beneath the
rope. Move the boom of the antenna until it is lined up with the rope.
Tighten rotator clamps.

5. Come off tower and have pizza. you're done.