[TowerTalk] True North thread

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True North thread
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:50:48 -0600
I have several reasons to want this thread allowed to persist and recurr-

1. There really are people who want to know, that were not here last time.

2. I always learn something new, (although usually not about true north)

3. I have observed almost enough to be able to categorize the answers, and,
to some extent, predict how many of each type there will be. The main types
are:
a.: those who patiently explain how to get the geophysical data for any
given spot, whether to add or subtract the correction,and how to correct it
for local altitude. These will rarely tell you how to apply these precise
data with a boyscout compass.
b.: those who will tell you that the easiest way is to mark the shadow at
local solar noon.  We in this group are right, but we dont need to be so
smug about it.
c.: those who will tell you that it doesnt matter, the antennas are not
that sharply lobed, anyway.
d.: the funny guys, who explain that they dont worry about north, they
always just aim the back of the boom to the south.
e.: the righteous types who ask if this thread wasn't forbiden by the last
listowner., and hasnt this gone on long enough?
f.: the word-merchants who tell us that it is really deviation, not
declination, that we are to account for. (This will come, even if you can
search til youre blue, and cant find out who used 'declination')

4. (most important to me) ITS FUNNY!

Bill- W4BSG
-
Bill Aycock   W4BSG