[TowerTalk] Anti-climb shielding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anti-climb shielding
From: k2fr@juno.com (Fredrick R. Gern)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:16:40 EST

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:35:37 -0500 "Brian Smithson"
<brian_smithson@vds.com> writes:

>Hey all!
>
>What is the concensus on putting some sort of shield on towers
>to keep people from climbing? What are you using, how does it
>attach, and how do you remove it when YOU want to climb? The
>XYL is getting antsy about keeping kids off it, even though there
>are few kids in the neighborhood and they have to brave the horse
>on the way to the tower!
>
>Thanks es 73!
>
>Brian n8wrl

Brian, I put some Vinyl covered steel closet shelving on mine.
I have Rohn 45 and found shelving that is 16" across.
I sealed the ends w/3M Elect. Coating to slow corrosion.
The tower has 18" sides and the shelving covers most of it.
They are mounted with black tie wraps.  Not foolproof but useful if they
have
to be removed.  A determined climber could probably get up it, but it
will keep
young kids off the tower.

P.S. the shelves are 6 ft. long and mounted up about 3 feet from the
base.
It actually doesn't look to bad and at a bit over $5 a piece it was damn
cheap.
A step ladder gets a climber over the shield.
And I do sleep better at nite.

Fred

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]