[TowerTalk] Back on the KT34XA re-cap/problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Back on the KT34XA re-cap/problems
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 19:34:31 -0500
Well after several set backs and some eye problems I finally got back on the
KT34XA.  Gary K9AY kindly gave me a piece of 3/8" stock and I got one from
another non-ham friend.  Here is the rub....

The 3/8" stock are both 0.376 in diameter.  The so-called 3/8" from KLM is
only 0.344" in diameter.  This is a difference of 0.032".   So the first
thing I found was the "real" 3/8" was too big for the new blue caps.  So I
pulled out my trusty reamer set and made the blue caps match 0.376".
I used K1KY's suggestion and dipped the 4 caps in hot water and they went on
smoothly.  Then I found problem number 2.  The straps were to small!   So I
merely opened them up put the 3/8" tube inside and put the hardware back in.
Except for dropping the nut once this worked nicely.

This finishes up the 1st director. I missed all the contests and Pratas
(again) but with luck will get everything ready to go up by early January.

Dave K4JRB