[TowerTalk] : Phased array radial query

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] : Phased array radial query
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:51:53 +0000
I am in the process of building a two element broadside vertical array for
40M (which may grow to a 4sq next year) the radial system for each vertical
is #18 insulated hook-up wire (about 30 per vertical so far). The radials
cross each other at several points. What is the collected wisdom should I
leave the radials insulated from each other or should I "bond" them at the
cross over points?

In looking at some older texts I notice It used to be popular to have a
small ground rod at the far end of each radial. This practice seems to have
vanished from vogue in recent years. Was there any known measurable
advantage (or disadvantage) to doing this? Have folks just stopped doing
this because of the work involved? Or was this one of those "old Elmer's"
stories that was gratefully debunked and discontinued?

K9NX
n7ex@athenet.net