[TowerTalk] : Phased array radial query

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] : Phased array radial query
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:48:08 -0500
Hi Dick,

> Near as I can tell, the ground rod would add nothing. A friend of mine
hotly
> disputes the whole notion of an RF ground. His claim is that the earth is
so
> lossy that at the voltages we use, nothing much is going to flow into the
> dirt. If it did, we wouldn't need the radials in the first place.

Of course, we all know the world is both an insulator and flat.

Ask him these questions.....

1.) If current can't flow in earth, then why do signals "reflect" off earth
(and the dry rocky moon even)?

2.) If current can't flow in earth, why does height above earth affect
antenna impedance?

3.) If current can't flow in earth, why can't we just lay our antennas
right on the ground and work DX?

73 Tom