[TowerTalk] Element vibration

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Element vibration
From: coopersg@odl.co.uk (S Cooper)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:41:09 -0000
Hi Ron,
String, nylon cord, or anything non-conductive, wound helically around the
element or boom at a very low pitch - 1 turn per 5-6ft perhaps, and just taped
at intervals. This works on VHF yagi booms so I presume it works on individual
elements. From an aerodynamic point of view, this will break up the laminar
airflow over the round front section of the element - ie. make the air
turbulent before it normally breaks into turbulence behind the element, and
thereby prevent resonances from building up. I should practice what I preach. I
lost two 9 element OZ5HF's last week for exactly this reason! They just split
in half.
73 & Merry Christmas/HNY
Stewart GM4AFF