[TowerTalk] TX Ant gain vs. RX Ant gain (was: Dollars per dB)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TX Ant gain vs. RX Ant gain (was: Dollars per dB)
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 01:20:32 -0500
Bill probably spends a lot of time listening to weak DX.

He said:
> Well I can tell you for sure that an antenna with better pattern will
> improve your receive capability.  Approaching thunderstorms are a big
> problem for me except for (generally) October and November.  Noise from
the
> tropics isn't the problem.  Noise from Louisiana or Florida is usually a
> big problem.  Everything I do to improve pattern seems to help.

Which goes back to my point, directivity is more important than gain for
receiving at HF.

For transmitting, a clean pattern with minimum spurious lobes doesn't do
much. All we want is gain, even if that comes with an increase in side
lobes or loss of F/B.

When receiving, a pattern with a high ratio of desired response to unwanted

73 Tom