[TowerTalk] Cushcraft X9 SWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft X9 SWR
From: amcastmis@earthlink.net (Jim)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:29:13 -0800
Hi Gerald,

I don't have my SWR curves here at work but briefly, here's how mine reacts.
first off, it's at about 42' in the air so I know that it's subject to more
interaction with trees, etc.  than if it were up around 60' +.

10 & 15 seem fine.  1.5 or lower across most of the band.  On 20 is where it
shoots up.  If it's pointed West, it's not TOO  bad, around 1.5 but when I move
it
North it goes up to over 2.2  so I'm sure it's interacting with something.   But
even at that, 1.5 seems too high to me.  The antenna it replaced had much better
figures.

Now for my question.  I'm curious what others think of their X9 performance.
I've
never felt like mine gets out significantly better than my old Hygain Explorer
14
which was at the same height.  I do feel that it hears much better though.  I
think the 'not getting out' issue comes right back to the high SWR issue.  The
old
EX14 was way down around 1.1 to 1.2 over most of the band.  I'll bet that at 2.2
SWR my radiation pattern is terrible.

Anyone considering this antenna might want to look seriously at the Force12
C31XR
instead or maybe even the new Bencher Skyhawk.  Read the posts.  Most users
aren't
too happy with Cushcraft's customer service.  I know I feel screwed by the
abandonment of the promised 2 element 40 meter kit for the X9.  That was my main
reason for chosing this antenna.

I'm curious as to the reason for your inquiry?

Jim
WB6YAW