[TowerTalk] FCC and Tower Lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FCC and Tower Lighting
From: ka4inm@gate.net (Ron Youvan)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 99 01:59:05 PST
Hi:
 Bob      KK4TD said:
snip
 This seems unreasonable, as, for instance, a paging company
 with dozens of sites could hardly be expected to check every tower each
 night for burned out beacons!  (I am required to check my lights once per
 day, according to the FCC registration docs.)
 snip
  Why is it unreasonable?  100 towers owned by 100 companies or 100 towers
owned by 1 company, what's the difference?
  Airplanes are a hazzard to broadcasters, (and others) we MUST do everything
we can to keep them from tangeling up in our guy cables!
  My company puts beacon a "flash fail" detector module and a beacon "lamp
fail" detector module and a Radio Shack dialer {$59} (plays a taped message
identifying the site and problem) at every tower site, in addation to paying a
LOCAL living person $1 per night to observe and SIGN a LOG daily just after the
lights come on, at every site.

      73 (= Best Regards)  de Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
  VISIT my HAM WEB SITE at: http://qsl.net/ka4inm  HAPPY 1999