[TowerTalk] SO-239 covers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SO-239 covers
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:33:05 +0008

Hi All,

Jan asked...

> What can be used to effectively protect an unused SO-239 female connector from
> the elements?  Example is the unused connectors at an antenna relay box
> mounted on a tower.  I know that tape simply will not last.  Your hints and
> kinks will be appreciated.

I have used an old PL-259 from an old hunk of coax.  (I'm betting
everbody has some of them!)  I left about a half inch of coax
sticking out.  I painted the coax/plug thing with "liquid tape"
wrapped it with scotch 33, and painted it again.  Then I screwed on
the coax sleeve, attached the whole thing to the unused SO-239,
and wrapped that with scotch 33 and painted it.  I don't know how
long it will last. It's been OK for a couple of years, one of which
was an almost constant el-nino downpour.

73,
George T. Daughters, K6GT