[TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio
From: K1EA@contesting.com (Ken Wolff)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:25:40 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01BE4C4B.A5C28740

As a software author, I have a lot of sympathy for Brian's position. It's
tough to make a living selling software into the amateur market. The volumes
do not support the sub $100 price the user demand. Brian's software is so
sophisticated, it should require a staff of programmers (not just one) to
develop and support.

Personally, I write CT for a number of reasons.

1. My hobbies are radio contesting and programming. What a perfect
combination for CT! I'm not a DX'er or certificate chaser. Hence, I write no
general purpose logging software.

2. Many hundreds of fellow contesters have expressed appreciation over the
years. What a rush! By the way, never get into a phone contest with the call
K1EA, the rate stinks, but it's nice to be loved.

3. The money is good enough that I never feel guilty about buying computers,
software or radios.

There is a down side. I'm often forced to support very unsophisticated users
(computer lids). "Edit a file? What's that?" Fortunately, my users support
each other, and shield me. There are volunteers, such as AD1C and KM3T who
do a tremendous amount of direct support just because they are good guys.
Some buyers think I'm Microsoft and try to strong-arm me. I hate that. It
makes me want to quit. I feel terrible when 200 guys start a contest and
discover the radio keeps getting thrown to the wrong sideband, or worse.

In my view, "borrowed" software is a fact of life. I may not like it, but
I've learned to live with it. In the long run, the lack of copy protection
is a benefit. Over time, most users of "borrowed" software "upgrade" with a
check or credit card. Yes, some countries are known as "one copy" countries,
but that is a social issue I'm not prepared to address.

There is one unsung hero I'd like to mention. N6TR must put in enormous
hours writing log checking software. Hardly anybody notices or appreciates
it. Everybody should send him a few bucks for computers and dinner out with
the family.

73, Ken K1EA

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01BE4C4B.A5C28740

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D551154915-30011999><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D321480716-30011999><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial =
size=3D2><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>As a software author, I have a lot of sympathy for Brian's position. =
It's=20
tough to make a living selling software into the amateur market. The =
volumes do=20
not support the sub $100 price the user demand. Brian's software is so=20
sophisticated, it should require a staff of programmers (not just one) =
to=20
develop and support.</FONT><FONT size=3D2> </P></FONT><FONT =
color=3D#0000ff=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>Personally, I write CT for a number of reasons. </P>
<P>1. My hobbies are radio contesting and programming. What a perfect=20
combination for CT! I'm not a DX'er or certificate chaser. Hence, I =
write no=20
general purpose logging software.</FONT><FONT size=3D2> </P></FONT><FONT =

color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>2. Many hundreds of fellow contesters have expressed appreciation =
over the=20
years. What a rush! By the way, never get into a phone contest with the =
call=20
K1EA, the rate stinks, but it's nice to be loved.</FONT><FONT size=3D2>=20
</P></FONT><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>3. The money is good enough that I never feel guilty about buying =
computers,=20
software or radios.</FONT><FONT size=3D2> </P></FONT><FONT =
color=3D#0000ff=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>There is a down side. I'm often forced to support very =
unsophisticated users=20
(computer lids). &quot;Edit a file? What's that?&quot; Fortunately, my =
users=20
support each other, and shield me. There are volunteers, such as AD1C =
and KM3T=20
who do a tremendous amount of direct support just because they are good =
guys.=20
Some buyers think I'm Microsoft and try to strong-arm me. I hate that. =
It makes=20
me want to quit. I feel terrible when 200 guys start a contest and =
discover the=20
radio keeps getting thrown to the wrong sideband, or worse.</FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>=20
</P></FONT><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>In my view, &quot;borrowed&quot; software is a fact of life. I may =
not like=20
it, but I've learned to live with it. In the long run, the lack of copy=20
protection is a benefit. Over time, most users of &quot;borrowed&quot; =
software=20
&quot;upgrade&quot; with a check or credit card. Yes, some countries are =
known=20
as &quot;one copy&quot; countries, but that is a social issue I'm not =
prepared=20
to address.</FONT><FONT size=3D2> </P></FONT><FONT color=3D#0000ff =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>
<P>There is one unsung hero I'd like to mention. N6TR must put in =
enormous hours=20
writing log checking software. Hardly anybody notices or appreciates it. =

Everybody should send him a few bucks for computers and dinner out with =
the=20
family.</FONT><FONT size=3D2> </P></FONT><FONT color=3D#0000ff =
face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>73, Ken =
K1EA</P></FONT></FONT></SPAN></FONT></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01BE4C4B.A5C28740--