[TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:54:21 -0800
Hi Ken,

I happened to be in San Diego 2 weeks ago when Brian decided to throw in
the towel.
Very unfortunate!
I understand his disgust, that after contacting those that he had
clearly detected were using copies of his RTTY software, they basically
told him to stuff it.

I've had similar, but not so obnoxious experiences.
I've been told I'm a jerk for not just giving it away freely.
Nobody has a problem with trading a tube for some coax at the flea
market.
I don't see the amateur software situation being any different.

As an amateur software author, I appreciate and agree with your
comments. They cover the subject well.
I too, have found myself wondering if carrying on represented good
judgement. I usually work on it when the mood arises and it is fun.
There certainly is not sufficient economic enticement  to drive the
development!

I think very few users understand the level of effort that goes into
fashioning a good program.
Writing software for use by others is vastly different than writing for
oneself. We're quite a bit more tolerant and forgiving of our own
mistakes and oversights.

If we were doing this work for the money, we ought to have our heads
examined! We're not such brite fellows after all.

I really appreciate the users that have supported me and my little
oddity in the market.

Onward and upward! Maybe someday Brian will decide to get back in the
game. We can sure benefit from that kind of talent!

--
73, Kurt

K7NV "That's K7 "Nevada" (ex - NI6W)

YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/