[TowerTalk] Corroded connectors !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Corroded connectors !
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:56:51 -0600
Three days ago I made up a whole bunch of new jumper cables using
International 9913.  The pl259's were the hamfest 25 per bag silver plated
with a gold plated center pin and Teflon insulator.  Solder was typical
Radio Shack 60/40 stuff, fairly new.  I have used The solder and pl259's
before no problem.  Today I rig a temporary Inverted L for 160m and I go in
the shack and no receive.  Like something was open.  I found a new
connection corroded in a N to so239 adapter on my Bird wattmeter.  This
adapter is maybe nickel plated or something.  I have had a problem with the
connections on my switchbox corroding in the past but that was a couple of
years ago.  Are these pl259's the problem?   Any thoughts?  Should I be
using $3.50 each Amphenol's?  Some of my past hamfest pl259s turn very
black, this latest batch stay nice and shiny.  If I was having connectors go
bad every few days/weeks I would be more apt to blame the pl259's but these
have been working fine, some of them for years.

Thanks
Greg K9ZM