[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (w2xx@cloud9.net)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:17:00 -0500
Hi Pat:

Among the other questions you asked was this "Are current locking
latches able to be released with one hand?
Someone should take closeup pics and post them on a web page...."

Yes, the current models of double-action snap-hooks are releaseable
with one gloved hand.

There are many pictures of them on the web, usually on the
manufacturers' web sites.

My personal full-body OSHA spec'd harness comes from a company called
Protecta International.  They are based in France, but have a large
office and warehouse in Houston, TX.  Their web site is at
http://www.protecta.com/usa/home.html

Just for information's sake, I use the model #AB104A17 fullbody
harness, #AE552AW2 fall-arresting lanyard and the #AL305AWA positioning
lanyard.  This rig is *intended* for use on communications structures,
and has many useful safety and convenience features for this
environment.

I looked at many of the "climbing" rigs and they are just that...for
climbing rocks or for rescue situations...not for safety *and*
positioning while working on a tower.  Most of those set-ups use
carabiners for the locking safety mechanisms.  While they have their
place in the world of mountain and rock climbing, I would rather use
the right tool for the right job when I'm up 180 feet in the air.

73, J.P. W2XX

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:  I have no interest, financial or otherwise
in Protecta.  I'm just a very satisfied customer.
J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net
         w2xx@arrl.org

I am Pentium of Borg...Precision is futile...You will be approximated!