[TowerTalk] Yaesu vs Hygain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu vs Hygain
From: ed@privette.com (Ed-Privette W4EP)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:42:30 +0000

After using Hygain/CDE/HamM  rotors for more than thirty years I switched
to Yaesu. I was turning a 4el 5 band quad on a 30' x 3" boom and a 2el KLM
40m beam 10' above the quad. The  Yaesu 1000SDX lasted about a year and the
small "rubber band" direction driver in the control box broke. Back to
Yaesu for an $86 repair.  Three months later the wind trashed the gears
like you would not believe unless you saw it. Looked like they had been
used in a AA fuel dragster.

I've been using big  quads for 30+ years. Always used just a simple Ham4. I
know thats kinda light for all that antenna but all those years I have
replaced one brake wedge and some mounting bolts. I keep a complete spare
Ham4 but have not had to use it. Anyone can rebuild a Ham4 or T2X  in less
than and 2 hours and the parts are cheap.

73, Ed  W4EP