[TowerTalk] Size of free-standing tower base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Size of free-standing tower base
From: w7xu@dtgnet.com (W7XU Arliss)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:57:46 +0000
Hi,

Can anyone on here tell me how to calculate the size
of a concrete base for a tower I want to erect?  This
will be a free standing affair, supporting an EME array
(30 sq. ft.) at 40 feet in an 85 mph wind area.

Some other details:
The weight of the tower and array is about 1000 lbs.
The soil is a silty clay loam (undisturbed agricultural
    area).
I don't know who made the tower, so I can't ask them.
I'm not worried about the strength of the tower itself
    in this application (former broadcast tower with 3"
    dia. legs, etc.).

I know, I know -- but I don't want to hire an engineer
to figure this one out.

Thanks & 73,

Arliss  W7XU