[TowerTalk] Ham IV turns only 90 degrees - toasted?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham IV turns only 90 degrees - toasted?
From: slay@hevanet.com (Akiko and Sandy)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:10:39 -0800
Greetings to all.   I occasionally read thru the archives on the web and am
not a regular subscriber to this reflector, although I very much enjoy
reading about some of the issues discussed here.

I know this is probably a dumb question ....   but what's the likely problem
with my Ham IV?
I had the rotator serviced by C.A.T.S.  when I got it 3 years ago ... had
them install the Superwedge and the set-and-forget mod on the control box.

A few windstorms ago, the antennas (KT34XA and 40-2CD) got twisted about 45
degrees .... then ended up about 90 degrees off.

I had not been able to swing them the full 360 degrees for some time ... but
still had about 270 degrees for awhile.   The other day, I cranked the tower
down, climbed on the roof and tried to re-calibrate the antennas.

I set the rotor control box to due north.
Loosened the U-bolts on the rotor to mast clamp.
Turned the mast with a slip-wrench til the antennas were pointed due north.
Retightened the U-bolts.

Then, I tried to swing the antenna and discovered that the antennas will
only turn a total of 90 degrees.  Then stops between West and North.
Arrgghhhhhh.

My guess is that I've probably stripped or otherwise chewed up some gears.
Of course, I don't know what exactly is happening since I wasn't looking at
the rotor while using the control box to turn it.  Maybe something simple is
slipping .... but I doubt I would be so lucky.  ;-)

Question #2

Seeing as my tower, an old Tristao motorized crank-up (54ft) cannot
physically fit a Tailtwister ... hence the use of the Ham IV, are there any
suggestions as to what model rotator I might consider as a replacement to
the Ham IV?

Thanks and regards,
Sandy W7BX
w7bx@arrl.net