[TowerTalk] Rust Inhibiting Paint for Steel Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rust Inhibiting Paint for Steel Towers
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:44:00 PST
Mark (N1LO),

Thank you for your out of the box thinking on the problem of salt
buildup.  As someone said in one of the responses, the conditions on
Aruba are really a worst case scenario.

The idea of power washing is not out of the question.  Actually, one of
the P43 station owners is in the process of developing such a system,
primarily to wash down critical sections of his antennas which have
suffered from salt buildup and arching in the past. Of course residual
water will wash off his tower to some degree, but right now that is a
secondary concern since he has taken extreme measures to protect his
tower and guying systems already.  The big problem is the wind, being
able to direct the water in the desired direction with sufficient
velocity at 70+ feet. Water supply (though expensive) is not a problem
on Aruba, which has one of the largest desalination plants in the world
and a mature island-wide distribution system.

I am watching this experiment closely and if it proves successful I will
urge the station owner to share the details of the system with everyone,
probably through an article in one of the radio magazines.

Thanks Mark and everyone else on the reflector.  I am researching many
of the great ideas and suggestions presented so far and will let you
know what material or method is chosen to protect the P40W installation
in the next few weeks.

73,

John  W2GD/P40W