[TowerTalk] Elements out of Horizontal plane

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elements out of Horizontal plane
From: W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK/4)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:10:46 -0500

L.B.'s results indicate that my model is on the right track (the
over ground.  I chose 75 feet again with no other antennas, guy
wires or any other reflection sources.  Here are the numbers at
24 degrees elevation (peak of the main lobe):

   Angle      Gain         F/B
 (degrees)    (dBi)        (dB)

    0         10.47        15.00
    5         10.43        14.66
   10         10.33        13.63
   15         10.17        12.42
   20          9.96        10.94
   25          9.71         9.42
   30          9.43         7.95
   35          9.13         6.57
   40          8.85         5.33
   45          8.57         4.23
   50          8.31         3.26
   60          7.90         1.76
   70          7.62         0.74
   80          7.47         0.18
   90          7.43         0.00

The driven element alone (a loaded rotatable dipole) shows a "gain"
of 7.43 dBi at and elevation angle of 24 degrees.

As with LB's results, the front to side degraded even more quickly
than F/B although F/S of the loaded two-element beam was not as good
as the full-size elements.  As in free-space, gain does not fall off
very quickly until the rotation angle reaches about 30 degrees.
However, even 10 degrees of rotation has a significant effect on
pattern (F/B and F/S).

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>