[TowerTalk] US Towers MA-550 Tubular Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Towers MA-550 Tubular Tower
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Michael McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:28:22 -0500
I would build a trailer to put it on.  That would make it a portable
accessory, and not a permanent structure.  The latest craze in the
Cellular industry is to disguise cell towers as pine trees.  You
could probably use an artificial Christmas tree to disguise it
as well.  Just be sure that the tree you use is all plastic
with no metal wire stiffeners.
   See some examples of portable towers at the US Towers WEB
site, http://www.ustower.com/portables.html

Dave Anderson wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I need some advice and/or suggestions on what I should do.  I live in
> one of those places where towers are not allowed.  I essentially live in
> a forest however with 50 to 65 foot trees all around my property.  I
> have a space in the rear yard that I could erect a MA-550 tower with a
> small TH-3 beam or something on it.  My idea is to disguise it to look
> like a Poplar tree (I have lots of these trees) since this type of tree
> is straight as an arrow.  I feel it will fade into the forest if it
> looks like one of the other trees in the yard.
>
> Here's my question.  What if anything has anyone used to disguise a
> tower and beam with paint and plastic vegetation?  Most fake flowers and
> plants use some kind of wire internal support.  If used in moderation,
> will the effect of these wires effect beam performance?  I would
> appreciate it very much if anyone has any suggestions, except to move of
> course.
>
> 73'
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Dave, KW4DA
>
> --

**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************
Michael A. McCarthy, President
Everest Engineering Corporation, Consultants
4 Barnes Circle, Marlborough, MA 01752
(508) 460-6737, FAX (508) 460-7951
mailto:w1nr@eecorp.com