[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:35:50 GMT
RAA16758
Sender: owner-towertalk@contesting.com

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:25:39 EDT, you wrote:

>Greetings, TowerTalkians --
>
>      The common wisdom is that steel guy wires in the radiation field of an
>antenna causes (interaction?) problems. I have to admit that I haven't seen
>any studies or articles on this topic. In broadcast circles they talk about
>RF absorption. How real are these problems?
>
>      The only thing I've seen in the amateur literature is Lew Gordon,
>K4VX's article that showed steel guys actually made his wire antennas
radiate
>better so I'll have to admit that I'm a little confused.

It's just another conductor in the field of the driven element(s). I
have seen some designs that make the top guy(s) a certain length to be
part of an antenna. This would make guy wire reradiation helpful.

However, without specific planning for placement, lengths of
conducting segments, etc, the ropes-always-snaggle
random-letters-never-make-Shakespear chaos-rules theory of the
universe would dictate that semi- or fully-resonant lengths of guy
conductor in the antenna field will reradiate in ways you don't want.

I don't know whether Lew got lucky or he planned it that way. Maybe he
has a bucket of serendipitous.

>I've got my own
>anecdotal information that leads me to believe that there is interaction but
>don't have anything more substantial.
>
>     Comments welcomed.
>
>Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
>http://www.championradio.com