[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:45:27 -0400

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:12:19 -0500 (CDT) Shane Dugas <shane@eatel.net>
writes:

>>One night  when there was no wind at all, a friend and I dropped
>>the top set of guys while listening to some ZLs coming through on
>>20.  The difference was amazing as the signals came up several S
>>units on my 75S3.  I have never questioned the need to use
>>insullated guys since.
>>
>>George
>>W2VJN
>>

>Well I'll take your word on it.  So now....what to do.  I in the
>process of
>installing a 110-120ft 25g tower but I'm not sure what to do with the
>top
>set of guys.  Fiberglass is out.  I been read the past few sets of
>threads
>on diffent guy materials and it seems there are a few options.  Which
>on is
>the best though.  I purchased enough guy wire for the entire
>instalations.
>should I break up the top set with the porcelain insulator type or is
>their
>some combination of Philis. and insulators that is better? Your
>thoughts on
>this would be greatly appreciated.

If you use Phillystran go to the 1/4" EHS equivalent. Also dont expect
that solid tower feel of real steel.
Dont run it anywhere near trees where a small branch can rub thru.
Several in NE had theirs cut by snow laden pine tree branches that did
not appear to be a problem in the summer.
For safety from vandals, switch to steel the final 20' or so.

BTW, I removed Phillystran from my 100' tower, had it on the 2 upper
levels.  For sale to anyone that is interested for $100.

73  Carl  KM1H
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]