[TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000SDX Rotor parts/support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000SDX Rotor parts/support
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:24:57 EDT
In a message dated 99-04-19 08:46:43 EDT, w1wef@snet.net writes:

> Let me count the reasons...1. My 1000 has been more reliable than a T2X ever
>  was...never sticks.

     You mean the brake wedge? It was re-designed a while back and I think
that the problem is pretty minimal now.

      The advantage of the solenoid activated brake wedge is that it has
almost double the braking capacity (9000 in.lbs. for the T2X and 5200 in.lbs.
for the G-1000).

>  2. Rotor position can be seen with power off.

     So you turn your rotator off when it's not turning? I think that some
people do this to minimize voltage through the indicator pot.

       You're right - it's a nice feature.

>  3. Connectors on box and at rotor better than HyGain terminal strips

      All Hy-Gain rotators have used connectors at the rotator and control
box for about 3-4 years. Hy-Gain doesn't use the terminal strip anymore.

>  4.Preset included.

      Ah, this is THE nicest feature. I've got a CATS pre-set on my Hy-Gain
control box and I love it so I know what you mean.

>  5. Variable speed included, and faster than T2X

>  6.Far more attractive control box design.

       Okay, a better ANALOG design.

>  7. I'm turning a 40-2CD and a TH7 with it, and it has no problem turning
>  them...I hope this commentary doesn't bring bad luck! hi

      Me too! My calculations show that you're overloading the G-1000 by
about 33%.

      While I think ALL rotators have pluses and minuses, as a tower and
antenna installer I'm more inclined to go with the Hy-Gain. Why? Primarily
because parts and service are so readily available. (That was your original
question.)

     Also the steel mast clamp and hardware are robust and not easily damaged
like the infamous Yaesu ones are.

      But the comment by Dave Leeson, W6NL, still holds true, "Why can we
build a clothes washer that'll last 20 years and cost $400 and we can't build
a rotator to do the same thing?".

      See you at Dayton, Jack. I'll buy the beer.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC