[TowerTalk] Re: Guying question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Guying question
From: biskit@snip.net (Tom H)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:42:06 -0400

>Tom:
>
>I think that Fred's original response is indeed be correct, as is
>yours.  You are relating a different aspect of the situation.  Fred is
>not referring to the tension that you may crank up in the guy wire, but
>rather the tension that is exerted IN the guy wire by a given horizontal
>force applied to the tower.  For a given horizontal force applied by the
>tower, say 100 lbs, a greater force will be required by the guy wire to
>counterbalance it as the angle of the guy decreases.  Try working out
>the vectors.  .............................

>73 de Mike, AA3RL

Hi Mike,
I'm not referring to  the pretensioning  of the guys either, although their
tension plus the windload force must be taken into consideration.  I know
that Rohn specifies, typically, pretensions of 800 to 1200 pounds (not psi).
Ok, let's look at vectors.  As I said earlier, a horizontal force applied at
the top of the tower will result in the same force in the guy cable in
static/steady state condition.  Moving the anchor position i.e. "wider is
better" will affect the horizontal and vertical force components, but the
resultant force will always be the same.

Example:
A 100lbs. of horizontal force restricted by a 45 degree guy arrangement
would result in horiz. & vert. force components of 70.7lbs each.  The same
component of 38.3lbs and a vertical component of 92.4lbs.  The vert. comp
keeps going up as you approach the tower, but you'll never exceed the 100
lbs. of force put in the horizontal axis, agreed?? And, at this juncture, I
kinda forgot what I was arguing about! Hi! So I'll drop it at this point! 7
3
Tom K3GM