[TowerTalk] Re: Guying question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Guying question
From: biskit@snip.net (Tom H)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:57:04 -0400
Tom, W8JI wrote:

>You have the triangle upside down.

To my example:
> Example:
> A 100lbs. of horizontal force restricted by a 45 degree guy arrangement
> would result in horiz. & vert. force components of 70.7lbs each.  The same
> component of 38.3lbs and a vertical component of 92.4lbs.  The vert. comp
> keeps going up as you approach the tower, but you'll never exceed the 100
> lbs. of force put in the horizontal axis, agreed?? And, at this juncture,
> I kinda forgot what I was arguing about! Hi! So I'll drop it at this
> point! 7 3 Tom K3GM

Tom, W8JI elaborated:

>No way! If that was true, we'd all be using self-support towers with
>tiny base piers for TV broadcast towers!! Our uniform cross section
>towers would stand up hundreds of feet without any strain, because
>the vertical load would never exceed 100 pounds and the horizontal
>load 100 pounds.

>The vertical load in the tower due to side force  = side force / tan of
>angle

>The load in the guy line due to side force = side force / sin of the
>guy angle

>Watch how this makes sense......

>With a 90 degree angle the vertical tower load is 100/ infinity or
>zero pounds.

>The guy line load is 100/ 1 or 100 lbs. Tower load is zero.

>With a 45 degree angle, the vertical tower load due to the
>horizontal force is 100/ 1= 100 lbs
>The load in the guy line is 100/ .707 = 141 lbs

>With a 22.5 degree angle the tower load is 100/.4142 = 241.4 lbs
>The guyline load is 100/.3827 = 261.3 lbs

>With a 5 degree angle the tower load is 100/.0875 = 1143 lbs
>The guyline load is 100/.087= 1147 lbs

Tom et. al.,

Well....I really hate to say this, but Tom, you're absolutely right.  I had
the triangle upside down!  Your solution and example is right on, Tom.  I
can't believe that got by me.  I spent a good part of the day in work trying
to figure how I got turned around.  Anyway, excuse me while I get this egg
off my face.  After that, I have a full plate of crow to eat!

7  3,  Tom K3GM