[TowerTalk] Replacement cable for crankups

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Replacement cable for crankups
From: mcduffie@scottsbluff.net (Gary McDuffie, Sr.)
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:16:01 -0600
TTians,

The reason for my phone calls/E-mail to Hy-Gain the last few days had to
do with replacing the cable on the factory gin pole for the HG54HD.  I
finally got the spec on the cable today.  I knew the size, but not
exactly what was called for.  I can buy 3/16" AC cable all over town.  I
cannot, however, find many/any places that can do the nicopress(sp?)
ends.

Questions:

Why would (for instance) the gin pole back stay cable be specified
nicopress on one end and regular cable clips on the other?  If it is
important enough for nicopress on one end, isn't it the same for the
other?  The anchor end is nicopress and the pole end is clipped in the
factory cable.

The cable itself is galvanized aircraft cable (3/16").  As I said above,
I can find all kinds of AC cable, but did not run into galvanized.  Does
anyone know where this can be purchased reasonably?

With the selling of Hy-Gain by Telex, and the apparent non-readiness of
MFJ to supply parts/info, I need a source.  I'm in the middle of an
erection.  Pun intended! ;o)  When I took the tower down, I found a
frayed spot in the raising cable of the gin pole, and need to replace it
very soon so I can put it back up.

Anyone have any good ideas?

As usual, thanks for any good responses.  This is a great bunch and
resource for information.

Gary - AGØN
--
Please notify me immediately if you don't receive this.