[TowerTalk] 40 Delta Loop Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 Delta Loop Beam
From: wa3gin@erols.com (Dave Jordan)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:42:16 -0400
Hi Folks,

Yesterday a friend described his plans for a 3 elelment 40 m Delta Loop
Beam. He plans to use a driven element that is an extended double Zep
with elements on either side that can be switched from director to
reflector mode.  The director/reflector loops will be equal lateral
tri-angles with the apex suspended from a 34ft boom mounted at 90ft.  We
were trying to decide where the main radiation lobe of the antenna would
be....the feed point will be close to the apex. We weren't sure whether
to use the 90ft, 80ft, or 70ft level to help determine the radiation
angle.

The station is located in N.C. and the intent of the ant. design is to
be able to enhance coverage of the most northern and southern portions
of the USA from his mid-atlantic location.

As an aside I wonder whether playing around with the driven element
makes any sense, i.e. does using the EDZ provide any significant
benefits over a standard length driven element?

Comments and suggestions are welcome,
dave
WA3GIN