[TowerTalk] Re: tuning M2's 40m1L antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: tuning M2's 40m1L antenna
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:48:20 -0500
I had a similar problem when I installed the 2 element version
of this antenna. It turned out that the balun was faulty. Disecting
the balun revealed no problems, but when it was promptly
replaced by M2, the new unit made all problems go away and
worked for many years.

Try this test....remove the balun and connect the coax directly
to the antenna. At the feedpoint, roll up the coax into a 8-10
turn coil about 10 inches in diameter which makes a choke balun.
I agree that there is no way to tune that antenna near ground level,
but whatever your readings before the change should remain the
same if the problem is in the antenna itself.  This at least is a
cost efficient way of eliminating  the existance of a balun problem.

GL!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC