[TowerTalk] balun design summary and data

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] balun design summary and data
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:45:38 -0500
If it does not blow apart with the sound of a 12 gauge or steadily lose
power with a corresponding rise in SWR like all the W2DU type baluns I have
ever owned, then it's probably an ok balun.  The only time I had no problem
with the less expensive bead type baluns was with 100w or less.  You would
do well to read "Baluns & UnUns"  I have several of the toroid type baluns
using the high power Teflon coax and the only problem I have with those is
finding a suitable enclosure which is strong and lightweight.  BUT, I cannot
positively say that they work any better than 8 to 12 turns of RG-213.  I
must also add that I have no experience with the Force 12 balun and it
appears to be a bead type and I have heard nothing bad about them.

73
Greg K9ZM