[TowerTalk] HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:30:11 -0400
> Reading N4KG's response to Steve (TH11 and Shorty 40 , Revisited) got me
> wondering about my own antenna plans for the farm...I have a couple of
> 100ft towers that I'd like to put up down south in the Northern Neck of
> Virginia.  THe land is sandy lome on the edge of a very large creek of
> tidal water from the Chesapeake.  The water is salty (brakish).  We've
> done some excavating on the property and the land is pretty dry and about
> 25ft above the creek water level.

Pretty dry is not absolutely dry. In Antartica, you can lay wires very
near the ice without drastic effect because it is very pure frozen
water and has little or no conductivity, only dielectric losses.

I've never seen or heard of dirt like that yet, except maybe the very
upper layers in a desert.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com