R: [TowerTalk] HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TowerTalk] HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 19:33:46 +0200
No, if you are going to install horizontally polarized antennas the surface
of the ground will take part in the game as the reflecting media.
Horizontal polarization, luckily, takes a minimal difference by ground type,
and it's quite sure that in the hf range the soil what you have won't behave
like a dielectric but only as a bad ground.
Last but not least, unless the area is totally flat (sloping grounds can
give extra gain or losses on certain angles), the height to consider from
the antenna (plane) is that were the reflection occurs (wavelenghts away
for mid-low angles) and not what's between the antenna and the base of
the tower.

73,
Mauri I4JMY