[TowerTalk] Ground Reflections (was 1)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Reflections (was 1)
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 14:13:13 -0400
Hi Wayne,

> Eric:  Your reply re-kindled a question that I have always had about my
> installation.  I have a TH-7 at 95' in a small clearing surrounded by
> heavy vegetation (trees) averaging 80' in height.  Using your logic below,
> I would surmise that my antenna is 15' above the effective reflecting
> surface, which I know is not the case, based on the performance of the
> antenna.

If you walk under those trees with a SW radio does the radio go
dead, like you went in a tunnel?

Trees are bad for induction field losses, especially the electric field,
but they don't do much at HF beyond the effects very close to the
antenna.

2 GHz is another story.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com