[TowerTalk] Small Beam Opinions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Small Beam Opinions
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:19:15 GMT
Chimneys are notoriously bad places to mount antennas, be that TV or
ham or ...

Unless the condition of the chimney is new, and it is built very
robustly, chimneys have been taken down by ice and wind on the
antenna. They are not DESIGNED to support antennas.

If it is an active chimney, the effluent is normally corrosive and
will eat the antenna and connections. The surface becomes pitted,
connections between antenna parts trap water contanimated by the
effluent, and the resistance of the connection goes up.

I know of cases where TV antennas and one of those minibeams (the
smaller, the higher the current in the elements, the more damage an
increasing skin resistance causes) were junk inside of a year.

Your mileage *might* vary, but don't do it.

73, Guy.

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:35:44 -0400, you wrote:

>Can anyone give me some ideas, opinions on small beam antennas.  I am
>looking for something that I can mast mount to my chimney.  I know that I
>can not expect much but would like something better than a vertical or wire
>for 10-20.  Any opinions on the "hybrid" mini quads?
>
>Scott

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV