[TowerTalk] Adjusting elements on TELREX beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adjusting elements on TELREX beam
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:54:11 -0500
Hi Gang,

A bit more info:  This antenna uses monoband reflector elements for 10, 15 &
20.  A trapped driven element, a first director which is 10m only and a
trapped director for 10, 15 & 20.  All on a nearly 28' boom.  I do have
instructions and if you examine yours, you may find 2 lengths listed for a
measurement on the trapped director.  72 3/4"  and 70 3/4", mine is at 70
3/4".

I have not verified trap placement with a grid dipper but have visually.  I
will try the dipper and see what happens.

There is only one length adjustment on each side of the driven element.

It would seem that this may be typical from some responses.

I have tried to clean all joints and used anti-oxidant where possible.  Even
on the beta wire.

My antenna was well used and the price was right.  The Telrex Balun was
history.  I have it but it was contaminated and I presently have a coaxial
choke at the feed-point.  I have not tried lengthening the feedline.  I have
about 12' RG213 and 140' of 9913 not counting jumpers for amp, switchbox and
LP filters.

There is a TH7DXX swinging in the breeze on the side of a tower at roof-top
height about 6miles away.  The XYL says she and the OM wants it gone.  Just
can't get him to call me back.  Sigh.   I also have a Wilson 4el Tri-bander
with the 40m kit to rebuild.

Over the last 10 months, this antenna  has worked  really well except on
10m.  I thought about purchasing a new C31XR  (is the model # right?)  But
have heard of some problems with tuning on it.  I don't want to have to
raise it up and down a dozen times to get it right.

I think I answered all the questions.  Thanks
73
Greg K9ZM