[TowerTalk] Tic ring assembly tips?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tic ring assembly tips?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net> (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:18:03 -0500 (CDT)
Carl wrote:

> 1. Open conductor at "blue connector":  The EC-2 was returned to TIC 2 or
>    3 times before it was replaced with the EC-1 (the prior edition
>    analog) controller.  It is TIC's opinion that the open conductor
>    was responsible for the failures dated 6/20, 7/11, 8/01, 8/15, 9/06,
>    9/13, 11/11, 11/28, 12/12, 1/09, 1/15, and 2/14.  The EC-2 returned
>    to TIC was updated upon return, but each time is was in working order.  >
>    When the open conductor was found this installation began working.

In the interest further of clarification, this is simply not correct.
Here is why.

The ring was actually working in August through January, but only
because AA4NU loaned me his EC-1 controller to use.  Technically,
my ring was not operating, because if it weren't for the generosity
of Billy's loan, I would have been dead in the water.

In truth, it was the fact that the EC-1 worked perfectly that convinced
me to give up my fancy yet troublesome EC-2 and ask Carl for an EC-1.
The EC-1 worked fine, and AA4NU's was returned after I received mine.

If there had been problems due to wiring, I can't believe that the
EC-1 would have worked fine.  I also heard from at least two other
individuals who had numerous problems with the EC-2, with no wiring
problems that were reported.

By the way, I replaced my motor last week and the ring is operating again.
K3MM said "these things aren't Heathkit" and he's right.  Hopefully I've
made enough mistakes by now that I've weeded most of the potential problems
out.  It worked great in the SSB Sprint and a weekend of DXing.  We'll see
how this contest season works out.

-Kirk  K4RO