[TowerTalk] Tower advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower advice
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 02:45:09 EDT
In a message dated 25/09/99 21:40:55 EST,  pugluvers@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Need advice on putting up my first tower...have a large back yard and am
>  anticipating a building permit for a 50-55' tower.  My question
>  is...crank-up or free standing.  My wife absolutely refuses to have guys in
>  the yard, and with kids I agree.  Several people have suggested a Trylon
>  free standing tower (wow, they're large).  Would like to pour less concrete
>  and go with a crank-up, but am concerned about safety and difficulty in
>  installation..I'll have it professionally installed.

       Disclaimer: Champion Radio Products is the US ham dealer of Trylon
towers.

       Pluses for crank-ups: You can crank them up or down.
       Minuses for crank-ups: Increased mechanical complexity resulting in
decreased reliability relative to a fixed tower; dramatically more expensive
than equivalent fixed self-supporter Trylon Titan (don't forget to factor in
freight too); requires periodic maintenance; cables can and do break.

      Pluses for fixed self-supporter: High price/value ratio; cheaper than
crank-up; practically no maintenance; high reliability; don't have to crank
it down in a wind or when you're not there.
       Minuses for fixed self-supporter: Can't crank it down.

>  Plan to go with either a Force 12 C3 or C4, Cushcraft X7 or X9, or a 3-4
>  element quad.  Any input would be appreciated.  Would love a big tower, but
>  hate the idea of lots of trucks in my back yard.

      You need the same approximate hole for either type of tower and it's
best done with a backhoe of some sort so it's tough to get around that.
Concrete OTOH can be pumped in with a trailer or truck mounted pumper (NOT a
snorkel - they're pretty pricey).

       I have a 6-part series on towers with lots more information from my
"Up The Tower" column in CQ Contest magazine that's available for two bucks
from Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

       BTW, what's your county windspeed? If you don't know, you can look it
up at http://www.championradio.com under Tech Notes. The crank-ups in the
catalogs are rated for 60 MPH (US Tower) - the lowest wind rating for
building departments is 70 MPH.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech